Kootenay Read Local
Thanks to all who made the Read Local Book Club a success. We won’t be doing the book club 2022-2023 as we re-evaluate our programming going forward.
What is the Read Local Book Club?
The Read Local Book Club is an opportunity for KLF libraries to pool their resources to offer a Kootenay-wide online Book Club featuring local authors. We get to support our local authors, promote them throughout the region and give our library members a chance to connect with others from the Kootenays.
Each month a different library will host/facilitate a different local author’s book (not required for all libraries to take on hosting duties, but appreciated!). The first 45 minutes of the discussion will be a regular book club discussion and then the author will be invited to join the conversation so that participants can ask questions. The KLF will be offering an honorarium to the authors.
Print out this info: Read Local Book Club FAQs for Libraries
What about registration?
Patrons can register for the Zoom link here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvduGsqDorG9J2rTlC-gkHinp5rFo2oH4v
Patrons and staff can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
How does my library get the books?
- The Nelson Library will purchase a bulk amount of copies of the book. If your library would like a few copies to give out to people who register, please email email@example.com. Patrons can also request a copy of the book when they register and we will mail the book to their home library to check out to them.
- For older titles once ILC is back up and running you can do interlibrary loan requests.
- When a library member from your library signs up for the book club, you can purchase a copy from your local bookstore to loan to them. The KLF will reimburse libraries for the book club titles you purchase (please invoice the KLF)
How can my library participate?
- It is as easy as promoting it to your community through Facebook, posters etc. and getting interested library members access to the book. The Nelson Library will create the promotional resources that can be shared with KLF Libraries and their library members.
- If you want to be more involved, email Heather Goldik (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be on the Book Club committee to help organize and create promotional materials
- If you want to promote and read a local author from your community/our region, then you can take a turn facilitating a book discussion please email Heather Goldik at email@example.com
The Fall Line-up…
Wednesday September 29, 6:30 pm Pacific/7:30 Mountain
Small Courage by Jane Byers
2021 Read Local Jane Byers Poster
Thursday October 21, 6:30 pm Pacific/7:30 Mountain
Waiting for the Cyclone by Leesa Dean
2021 Read Local Leesa Dean Poster
Tuesday November 16, 6:30 pm Pacific/7:30 Mountain
Confessions of a Failed Environmentalist by Jennifer Ellis
2021 Poster Read Local Jennifer Ellis